2.08.2009

Key to my Heart

There's something beautifully secret about a key. Where does it go? What magical door does it open? So, when you run across a really old key, you have to wonder...

Was it the master key to an entire elementary school where the janitor would hide in the water heater room, and secretly paint masterpieces? Perhaps it was a key to huge abandoned mansion down in the south, waiting for someone to come find it? What if it's a key to a 1950's classic that's now overgrown with weeds and wrapped up in rose vines? Or a key to a chest full of treasures?!

One may never know, but it's fun to guess! When my sister and I went to that antique show last weekend, we found some amazing vintage keys. Lydia immediately started brainstorming on fun ways to use them. Surprisingly enough, when I was shopping on Etsy the other day, I ran across a woman who made them into handbags! Combined with leather, they make for a really rich product. Her storefront is called Urban Heirlooms. I was going to ask her a few questions, but Etsy just featured her - Etsy's Interview. However, I did contact her, and she said I could rave all I want! So I am!

She tells a story, just like the ones I made up about the old keys. That's why I like her so much! She says, "
If this were a storefront, it would be on a sunny, tree-lined street behind plate glass windows, with a wooden swing in front trailing sweet honeysuckle vines. Ella Fitzgerald would be singing from the Cole Porter Songbook, and I'd offer you a glass of sweet tea."

I've never thought about how online storefronts lose this sense of ambiance. Maybe it's funner just to imagine, and make up your own story?

7 comments:

melange muse said...

I love old keys!

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful imagination of where the keys could belong. I love these bags mixed with old and new... They have a story to tell that leaves us guessing some elaborate story.

Amanda Megan Miller said...

i wear a beautiful small vintage key on a chain around my neck, that i found at a street market in France and I love it so much more because it is unique.

These are great ideas!

-Amanda
http://meshandlace.typepad.com

lauren said...

Those bags with key detail/clasps! Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

What a talent! I love the second bag SO much! They are delightful!!!

Modelmental said...

Oh dear, I NEED one of those bags! How special? Lovely post!

Anonymous said...

I love those bags...!!